Royal Opera House.

So last night I went to the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden to see La Bohème with my Dad and two of his friends. We were sat in an amazing box with an incredible view of the stage and the orchestra.

The opera itself was amazing, the female lead Carmen Giannattasio playing Mimi (La Bohème is in fact her debut performance for the Royal Opera), had an incredibly powerful voice and her harmonies with the male lead Joseph Calleja playing Rodolfo gave me goosebumps. The opera itself is a tragic love story, doomed to fail. Aside from the amazing singing (I am still shocked that one voice can fill a whole room!) the sets and constumes were fantastic. After the first interval there was beautiful sparkling snow falling on the cast but my favourite scenery was the tavern, which had an amazing sense of depth and made the opera come alive.
The storyline isn't all doom and gloom, there are some extremely funny elements, particularly surrounding the character Mussetta (Nuccia Foccile), which prevent the opera from becoming a tale of woe.

I definitely need to start going to the opera more as it was an incredible experience!


xo

No comments:

Post a Comment